TODAY'S PUZZLESor select puzzle type and difficulty
KENKEN for your Mobile
Fun, addicting, yet educational. The KenKen iOS and Android apps are perfect for the whole family!
KENKEN in the Classroom
Calling all educators! Join our FREE program to use KenKen puzzles with your students.
Rules For Playing KenKen®
The numbers you use in a KenKen puzzle depend on the size of the grid you choose. A 3 x 3 grid (3 squares across, 3 squares down) means you use the numbers 1, 2, and 3. In a 4 x 4 grid, use numbers 1 to 4. A 5x5 grid requires you use the numbers 1 to 5, and so on.
The numbers in each heavily outlined set of squares, called cages, must combine (in any order) to produce the target number in the top corner using the mathematic operation indicated (+, -, ×, ÷).
Here's how you play:
- Use each number only once per row, once per column.
- Cages with just one square should be filled in with the target number in the top corner.
- A number can be repeated within a cage as long as it is not in the same row or column.
How to Play KENKEN Online
- To start, click on any square. A "number ring" appears with that grid's possible numbers. These numbers will also show up on the left side above the grid as the "Notes" box.
- Ready to fill a number in that square? Just click the one you want in the number ring. It will then appear in the middle of the square.
- Narrowed it down to a couple of numbers but still not totally sure? Click the numbers you want from the Notes box. They'll show up smaller in the square.
Hints: Also in the candidates bar are , :
- Clicking will place all possible Notes in the square.
- Clicking will get rid of all the Notes in the square.
- If you'd like to repeat a note (notes) in another square, simply drag the number from the original square to the new one. Click here to see the video of how it works.
- When you've ruled out one of your notes, click on it again in the Notes box. The number will disappear from the square.
- When you fill in a number in a square (by selecting from the number ring), any notes in that square will disappear.
- Changed your mind about a number? In the number ring, click the red eraser icon to clear the square.
- To hide the number ring, click the red "X."
- How to Use the Keyboard: You can enter numbers and notes by using the keyboard. Once you’ve selected a square, you can press shift and a number key to enter (or delete) that number as a note. Or, to just enter a number in a square, press that number on the keyboard (no shift). To delete a number or note, press C.